The house building process impacts on the environment through the use of land and the consumption of resources in the development process. We aim to provide communities with attractive and sustainable developments, created with the minimum possible impact on the wider environment.
The Board of Directors recognises that we have a responsibility to limit damage to the environment and our key objectives are to manage the environmental impacts across the business:
- Minimise impacts: We aim to minimise adverse effects on the environment and, where possible, to seek environmental enhancements, concentrating on areas where there is most scope for improvement. We consider how we can prevent pollution, reduce waste and ensure efficient use of materials, energy and water across the business.
- Comply with legislation: We aim to comply, and where practicable, exceed all relevant environmental legislation and regulations.
- Target continual improvement: We aim to continually challenge our environmental performance. We do this through setting specific environmental commitments and targets and periodically reviewing our progress.
- Consider sustainability in our procurement processes: We aim to continually investigate and monitor the materials we use in our house building processes to identify sustainable solutions and building methodologies.
- Minimise environmental nuisances: We aim to minimise the environmental bi-products of our activities such as noise and dust. We consider new technologies and construction methods to reduce these risks and, where practicable, utilise alternative building solutions.
- Eco-system protection: We aim to protect eco-systems and local habitats through a range of measures. These include sensitive construction methods, site investigations prior to the commencement of works and education of our workforce. Where possible we seek to either maintain or enhance the local ecology and biodiversity of our developments through suitable mitigation and offsetting activity.
- Review activities: We aim to review relevant new technologies as they become available to ensure we continue to operate in a manner that has minimal environmental impact.
- Minimise risks from environmental incidents: We aim to reduce environmental hazards and risks through the education of our workforce. Consideration is also given to the location of materials and fuel at the commencement of build, as well as the adoption of appropriate emergency procedures.
- Engage with the supply chain: We aim to communicate with our supply chain on environmental issues and encourage them to consider the environmental impacts of their business.
- Provide appropriate training: We aim to provide training through induction and toolbox talks for the implementation of this Policy.